Leah gasps and I look up. Next to her, Emily’s scarred hand is covering her mouth as she looks in my direction. But, not at me. I focus on the person closest to me, the girl I love. She’s standing two yards away from me, frozen, her green eyes open wide.
A pleading voice from behind me breaks the silence, “Please, let us explain.”
I take a hesitant step forward and the girl unfreezes. She stumbles backwards and falls. She skitters backwards a few paces before leaping back to her feet, in an incredibly fast movement. She doesn’t take those eyes the color of the surrounding forest off of me.
“No,” I hear her mutter as she finally looks down, “No, No, No, NO!” With each word she gets louder.
“Please, let us explain,” the voice pleads again.
Her eyes snap up to him and then at the sky as she sobs, “Why?”
The tears are pouring down her face and she blinks at me through them. Then she starts quickly backing away, her eyes flickering between the car and me. Then with one fleeting look and another, “No!” she starts sprinting towards the car. But instead of running to Emily and Leah, she sprints to the road, faster than any of us could’ve expected. She stops at the road, looks back at me and then starts again.
No comments:
Post a Comment